Saturday, August 9, 2014

USAT Age Group olympic nationals

I had a great race today! Beautiful fast, flat course, perfect weather, and an PR in olympic distance by 9 minutes. 

Since my wave didn't start until 9:50, we only had to get up at 6 so I could set up in transition before it closed at 7:30. I can't remember the last time I got 8 hours of sleep before a race!

Setting up in transition was pretty quick and easy, other that the fact the I've never been in a transition area big enough to need letters identifying the rows. I was in row M, but even once I was on the right row I kept running past my bike until Brad pointed out that it was across from the Vermont flag. After that I didn't have a problem finding it. 

After I was set up, we watched the first few waves start and then walked over to where we could see the rest of the swim couse. Then we sat in the shade for a while... then I ate more food... then I walked briefly through the expo... then we sat some more... finally, around 9:30, it was time to get ready.


A few minutes later, they let my wave into the swim warm-up area. It took me a few minutes to adjust to the 68-70 degree water and then I was ready. See? That's me waving.


About the time we should have started, they announced that they needed to delay. Still not sure why, but they had us get out of the water for a while. Then we got a chance to warm up again and finally started about 15 minutes later.


Brad got on the bridge we swam under and got some great pictures. 



It was a beautiful swim, but there were so many people! I've never been jostled so much. Luckily I've learned to handle it (for the most part... there were still a few times I had to do a few strokes of breast stroke to get calmed down). Eventually the swim was over and I got to get on my bike. 


I felt great on the bike for most of the race and averaged 19.7 mph! The course is mostly flat, except for a couple bridges and on-ramps, but there was some wind in places. 

Even though the bike was pretty fun, I was still glad when it was time to run.


The run was also along the lake, and completely flat. There were some out and back parts, so we passed aid stations at least 4 times. I passed a LOT of people in my age group on the run (and got passed by a LOT of 20-24 guys who started after me). I averaged 7:44 overall on the run, for a 48 minute 10K.

Brad got this picture in Milwaukee:
And my mom got this one from the live stream:

I finished with a new PR of 2:40 and absolutely nothing left. No way I could have run another 6 miles... so I guess in China I'll need to go a little slower. :)

After the race, we hung out for a while and watched the women's super sprint, which was kind of amazing. So fast! I won't be surprised if some of those ladies wind up in Rio in 2016. 

Back at the hotel, it was time to shower, eat frozen custard (so glad it occurred to me yesterday that Wisconsin has frozen custard... not as good as Goodberry's, but it will hold me over until we're in Durham in October), and rest for a while.


Then we had a nice dinner on the riverwalk.




Now we're back at the hotel and got the bike packed. Early to bed tonight before our very early flight tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Elizabeth, you are amazing! I love that you are sharing this experience with us. Brad did a great job too making sure you found your bike and the pictures are great. Safe travels home.

    ReplyDelete