Saturday, August 16, 2014

Blue Ridge Breakaway

I had wanted to do the Blue Ridge Breakaway anyway, but I hadn't committed enough to sign up until I didn't get to finish the Roan Moan century. I signed up the next day.

So last night I drove to Cullowhee to spend the night with my parents and this morning my daddy drove me over to Lake Junaluska. 

The ride was well-organized and started out smoothly. I recognized the route as we started because the King of the Smokies tri based their bike course on the BRB 30-mile route. 

We rode through fog for a while, but Jonathan Creek was still pretty scenic. I also remembered the first climb, on Coleman Mountain Rd up to way above I-40. It was definitely easier than it felt a year ago. I had decided that I would do 70 miles without stopping again, so I passed the first aid station at Fines Creek.

There was a pretty big climb on Highway 209, but it had a nice descent too, and then the next rest stop at Crabtrew, which I also passed (but I did wave to my daddy as he took a few photos). 

Then we went into Clyde and through Poison Cove before a pretty hard climb up Stamey Cove. Then through Bethel and up 215, where I recognized more of the route from the Lake Logan tri.

Since I couldn't do Lake Logan this year, I broke my own rule with a teeny tiny stop for a photo.

After Lake Logan, there was another rest stop that I passed before the 12 mile climb to the Parkway (and eventually Richland Balsam). That was a long climb. Really long. But finally, finally, finally I made it onto the Parkway, past the rest stop at mile 63, and to my stop at mile 70. Hooray. I spent about 15 minutes at this rest stop eating all of the food. I actually don't know how long I was there, but I do know I ate the equivalent of at least 1 whole peach. And I took a picture of the Haywood-Jackson overlook. 


I was pretty happy to be there. Until I looked at the elevation profile and saw we had another climb coming that was almost as long. But anyway, I eventually set off. 

And then we got to Richland Balsam almost right away, and OF COURSE I needed a picture with the sign. 

(PS- If you haven't seen it, the sign says "Highest Elevation Blue Ridge Parkway Motor Road." Yep.)

Then we went through a tunnel. It was pretty scary until a car came up behind me and once I was sure it wasn't going to hit me I liked that I could use its headlights. 

Then there was a lot of really fun down that made my toes cold and my brake fingers tired before we got to what I had been dreading since I saw the map at mile 70 - Balsam Gap, and the start of an 8-mile climb up to Water Rock at mile 82. Who starts an 8-mile climb at mile 82???

So anyway, I won't bore you with all of the ways that was miserable. I just pushed on and thought about how it was sort of equivalent to having to run after 70 hilly miles in China. And finally it was over and we were at the last rest stop at mile 90. Yay.


Lots more food and I was ready for the last 3/4 of a mile up before the long descent down the Parkway (fun except somebody crashed), down Soco (scary), through Maggie Valley (pretty fun), and back to Lake Junaluska.



105.1. Longest ride ever.

And, it turns out that I was 84/149 century finishers (and 8th female!). I'm good with that. Now, time for bed. Tomorrow, back to running or swimming - or both!

No comments:

Post a Comment