Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sunday morning bike + run

I was kind of dreading having to fit in a swim this weekend. It's just always so hard to schedule - plus, this weekend was the Upstate Farm Tour and I wanted to see as many local farms as possible between 1-6 Saturday and Sunday afternoons. So when one of my friends told me there was a group going down to the lake to swim and then run this morning, it was perfect.

Yesterday we went to Happy Critters Ranch (pigs, chickens, and cattle) and City Scape Winery (yummy wines for summer - I got pineapple riesling, peach muscadine and raspberry white zinfandel) since they were on the way back from Grits and Groceries. Today, I wanted to go to the Seneca Treehouse Project (sustainable living), Milky Way Farm (we've been buying their raw milk for about a year and I love it), and Hurricane Creek (yummy hydroponic tomatoes in the winter). Since my friends wanted to swim and run at Clemson and then have lunch at Mellow Mushroom, it fit perfectly with the locations of the farms I wanted to see, so I decided to go for it.

After some rough storms early this morning, we decided the forecast looked OK and headed down to the lake (most of these people were on the team for the Smoky Mountain Relay - race report here: http://tri-ingforchina.blogspot.com/2014/04/smoky-mountain-relay.html)


It was a beautiful morning for a swim:


And a run, too: 


We swam a little over a mile from the docks in the first picture to these buoys and back. The water was not frigid (thank goodness, since I was the only one that didn't bring a wetsuit), and it was actually pretty pleasant.


After our swim, we set out for a run around campus. We made a nice 5.7 mile loop that ended along the dike and shortened it a little on the second lap to end up with 11.3 miles.


When we were finished, we headed over to Mellow Mushroom for some food. Yummy salad (and pizza too, but I forgot to take a picture of it):


Another week starts tomorrow with a swim after work. For now, we're having frittata with local eggs, milk, carrots, spinach, turnips, radish, spring onions and green garlic for dinner and I'm hanging out on the couch with my compression tights on.


No comments:

Post a Comment