Sunday, June 1, 2014

Safe Harbor Cycle Tour and other weekend training

Yesterday was the Safe Harbor Cycle Tour. I've been hearing about this ride since I started riding with other people and always heard good things, but I couldn't do it last year, so I was excited that it was on a date I could do this year. The race starts in the tiny town of Iva, SC and there are 3 distances to choose from. We chose the metric century (62.5ish miles).

Here I am at the start:

The ride was great! Cloudy and cool (but a bit humid) and overall a fast and mostly flat course. I rode with a group of friends, which always makes it more fun. The volunteers at the rest stops and the finish were great too! Overall a very well-done ride for a very good cause. The roads were great for a fast pace line… but since triathlon doesn't allow drafting I try to avoid drafting in my training rides too. Which means I pulled for more than half of it (and stayed out of the line for the rest). We averaged18 mph! Woohoo!

When I got home, I still needed to do my long swim workout, but about 10 minutes after I started swimming it thundered and the pool was closed for 30 minutes, so I decided I could put off my swim for today (after my long run). This week has been tough for swimming. Since the pool was closed Monday (well, technically it was open from 9-1, but that's not helpful when you have to work 8-12), I had to swim Tuesday and Thursday mornings instead of Monday and Wednesday mornings, which meant I was more rushed. I didn't finish the distance in my plan Tuesday due to time, and then I didn't again on Saturday with the weather. So then today, after a nice 10 mile run with a friend, I headed back to the pool. I made it 1800m into my workout and I was just too tired. I think in the future I'm going to schedule my longest swim of the week for Monday since working full-time almost necessitates that my long bike and long run be on the weekend. There's a reason my training plan puts the long swim on the day with the shortest run! 

Anyway, I'll be back in the pool tomorrow. My biking is coming along well and I need to put some focus on swimming for a while (except for the fun but challenging rides I have in mind for the next 2 Saturdays!). 

Another exciting package arrived Friday. This Team USA transition bag was backordered, but it finally became available. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment