Friday, July 4, 2014

New 5K PR at Furman and other 4th of July training

Since it's the 4th of July and I already have festive nails, and since I had run, bike AND swim on my training plan for today, I decided it was the perfect day to try out my Team USA uniform.


For my run workout, we decided to do the Red White and Blue Shoes 5K. What a perfect day! It was pleasantly cool at the start with beautiful skies. This is a really great 5K - a fast, flat course with great volunteers and a festive party atmosphere. After some pretty fast runs in my last few tris, I really wanted to see what I could do, so I went out fast and just tried to maintain it. For the whole last mile, I was thinking PR. 


And I got it! By 2 minutes!!! Woohoo!


After my run, I still had a bike and swim planned, but I hung out for the awards just in case. :) I finished first in my age group, and got some team prizes with Michelin in the Corporate Shields division too. Once that was done, it was onto my bike and up Paris Mountain, then back down and the rest of the way home on my bike. I got home at noon and needed to do a 30 minute swim before the pool closed at 12:45, so I headed over to the Y. Had to wait a few minutes for a lane and got in at about 12:13. Finished my 30 minute swim with an even mile (2:00 per 100! making progress) at 12:43, right before the lifeguard blew the whistle to close the pool. Perfect timing! Now time to enjoy cookouts and fireworks. :)


1 comment: