Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Asheville marathon (at Biltmore!)

I said after my first marathon (in Paris last year) that I'd never do another. Half marathons are my distance of choice. But then I heard about the Asheville marathon - a race run entirely on the grounds of Biltmore Estate. I love Biltmore. It's the first school field trip I remember (we went in 2nd, 4th and 8th grades) and I've been a passholder for years, even though I don't live in Asheville. So anyway, I was considering it. Then I heard they had added a half for this year and thought that was perfect.

But then I learned that I had qualified for ITU Worlds in China. In September 2014. With a 30K run (18.6 miles). I needed more of a run base than a half marathon… but what really sealed the deal is that the marathon goes across the bridge. To the west side of the estate. I've seen almost everything at Biltmore. Rooftop tours, behind the scenes tours, and of course candlelight Christmas… but I've never been across the river. I was sold. Full marathon it is.

So I combined marathon training with swimming training (4K swim at ITU worlds too…) and I was ready for a PR. I headed to Asheville for the (awesome) expo. I was pretty pumped about the free gloves, BUFF (which would come in handy…), and Sierra Nevada pint glass (seriously, who would pick chapstick instead of a pint glass???). The night before the race, I fueled up at the food truck party - yay Fuel paleo food truck - and (of course), the Hop.


I got up early on the 16th, and my sister dropped me off at the Doubletree to catch the shuttle into Biltmore. I was happy that it wasn't raining, but I knew it was only a matter of time and it was cold (high 30s), so I packed lots of gear into my (also free) official drawstring bag that would stay in the dry clothes tent. When we got to Antler Hill Village, I knew exactly where I was going - the barn. I was so thankful for the barn that day you have no idea. Bathrooms and heat and benches to stretch out on! I decided to wear gloves, a hat, the buff, and my raincoat. Thank goodness.

At the race start, I looked for the 4:15 pacers. After a 4:36 in Paris I knew my biggest issue had been pacing and I needed to make myself hold back on the first half. I found them just before the start and we were off! There's a pretty big hill up to Deer Park in the first few miles, and then a long slow uphill to the house. But the house! You get to run down the entrance road and back up, which gives lots of opportunities for the perfect selfie.


Then through the gardens (great downhills!). The awesome 4:15 pacers are in this picture too.


I was excited to get to the lagoon…


And then - across the bridge!

I also snapped a picture of the Biltmore employee at the gate making sure only full marathon participants crossed and told her that was the whole reason I did the full. :)

The west side was awesome  - gorgeous views running through farms and the vineyards.



And then, back across the bridge. Which was awesome because I was so tired. And it had started raining. And did I mention I was so tired?


But I knew I'd see my family on the other side of the bridge.

Scott took a selfie with me in the background. So fun! :) This cheered me up for a while.

The rain got harder and I was getting cold. So thankful for the buff. This race was awesome for spectators and I was thrilled that I got to see my family again around mile 20… but it was really tough to run past the finish line at mile 20.5 or whatever. But I knew I had to keep going and I'd eventually be back there. Past the aid station with (dry) girl scout cookies, back to the lagoon, loop around a big field and I was 2 miles from the end. Then a mile. Then I was there! With a new PR!


The medals were awesome. Really. Carved from wood from the estate. Amazing. But I was so tired, and so cold, that the blankets they gave finishers were even more awesome at that moment. 


Yay! This is such a great race and I'm so glad I did it. Seriously the best swag and race organization I've seen in a long time. But next year, it might be the half. 

No comments:

Post a Comment